Living the cottage life, Alaskan style!

Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Tree That Lives On and On and On

A couple years ago, I bought a cute 4' white tree at Christmas time.  My idea was to decorate it for the grandkids.... (who were 3, 2, and 1 at the time) it would be their tree to decorate, touch, rearrange, whatever, and hopefully these little hands would leave the big tree alone.  So we labeled it our Gingerbread Tree.... and all the ornaments and decorations were of sugar-origin whether boughten ornaments or made.  Cupcakes, cookies, candy.  I strung white yogurt coated pretzels with pretty red twine and candy necklaces too.  The kids loved it.  It's so beautiful with the lights turned on!

This year I decided to leave the tree up after Christmas and it would become our Heart Tree.  Babysitting the grandkids 40 hours a week gives us plenty of time to do crafts and this would be the perfect theme.  Hearts.  The kids loved being creative and were proud to hang their heart ornaments.  I cut out hearts of various sizes and they scavaged through my craft box for buttons, stickers, ribbons, lace, glitter, and anything else they thought would work. 



Well.... shortly after Valentines Day, we were ready to take the tree down and I thought.... why not leave it up all year and make it our theme tree...?  But it was too early for Easter ornaments, so I headed to our Joann's Store and bought an armload of silk flowers, then proceeded to take them apart and coated the tree with beautiful silk flowers stuffed in every nook and cranny.  The kids loved showing the tree off when someone came to visit and often asked to turn the lights on so it really shown. 

 
 
Our craft project for the last couple weeks has been making Easter decorations to hang.  It's been a fun time and I must add, our tree never looked lovelier! 
 


I haven't decided what our theme will be after Easter....  Summer... but that would involve flowers again.  Alaska?  That could be an interesting tree filled with ornaments of Alaska....  Maybe birds.  I love collecting birds and have lots around the house.  Yea, I think that's what we'll do.  Birds.  Nests.  Feathers.  What do you think?

Later!
Nancy

No comments: