Living the cottage life, Alaskan style!

Saturday, March 23, 2013

What's in it?

As I've gotten older, and more wiser.... I tend to take better care of what I put in my body.  Okay, it doesn't hurt that some of it is because of doctor's orders.... like flaxseed for extreme dry eyes or vitamin D because of sun deprivation here in Alaska or less sugar because of high glucose levels.  Maybe that's what started it.  But I am more conscience now of what I eat, how it's grown, where it's grown, and how it's prepared.

But my latest journey for a better life is to check ingredients.  I try to buy organic but it's quite expensive where I live and we don't have the luxury of farmer's markets.  I do grow vegies in the summer but because of our weather, we're restricted to cold weather crops--lettuces, kale, spinach, chard, peas, etc. Growing our own salad ingredients is a great way to know what's going into our body, and knowing that it's pesticide free.  But because gardening can be very challenging here, every year I say "this is the last year for gardening," but then spring rolls around and next thing you know, I've got lettuce, chard, and peas planted!   

Anyway, growing my own leafy vegies is one way I can keep track of what we put in our mouths.  The other is to check the ingredient list which hasn't become an automatic thing for me yet.  I just assume.... because we are mindful of what we eat and why I choose the products I do.... that it's good for us.  But yesterday, as I was putting my Yoplait No Fat yogurt into my grocery cart, a new yogurt caught my eye.  Liberte. 

I thought what an odd name for a yogurt.... But the coconut flavor ingrigued me so I picked it up and by some miracle, I turned the container around to look at the list of ingredients.  Now, note, I have NEVER done this to Yoplait yogurt.  Like I said, I just assume that what I choose to buy at the grocery store is bought because it's best for my body.  In this case, it was because of the "no fat" content. So now I pick up the Yoplait and turn it around to look at the nutritional value and list of ingredients.  This is what I found:
Look at the list of ingredients in Yoplait, most of which I have no idea what they are!  This simply is not acceptable any longer.  The list for Liberte is simple:  whole milk and cream, sugar, coconut and a handful of other somewhat familiar ingredients.  The question is.... will I trade the "no fat" content for 13 grams of fat now....?  Maybe once in a while it won't hurt me...?  Will I trade the higher carb content? Possibly.  Liberte yogurt is THE BEST yogurt I have ever eaten in my life. It is so smooth, and creamy, and yummy it just caresses my mouth with the better things in life. Yes, once in awhile won't hurt me....  After all the list of ingredients IS better....

Later
Nancy

No comments: