Living the cottage life, Alaskan style!

Saturday, July 2, 2011

good finds

Ahhhhhhh....... that's the sound of a contented garage saler!  I've not been able to do much g.saling in the past few years because I worked at the nursery on weekends.  But now I'm not working any more....  and.... 

The addiction started last Saturday when my sister was in town.  We got up early and was heading out the door by 7:30 a.m. trying to find treasures we couldn't live without.  In our sleepy little town, we usually have sales only on Saturdays from 7:00 or 8:00 a.m. until noonish.  Not very often will you see one on a Friday or a Sunday.  So the saying, "the early bird gets the worm," is never more true than when garage saling in our small town.  If you get up at 10:00 a.m. and think you're going to find any treasures, you're sadly mistaken.  They're all gone by 9:30! 

My sweet husband was my chauffeur today.  He's not too keen on looking through someone else's trash... I mean treasures.... but he is willing to take me so I can. Here's some of my finds.   

This shelf unit is quite large.  You can tell as it's spanning an oversized chair.  The dust didn't cost anything extra....  I hate sales where the people haven't priced the items, so you have to ask.  I generally will pass the item up before I ask "how much?"  But I wanted this shelf!  We plan on building a new shed and I intend on making a potting shed on the backside of it where I can hang all my tools in one handy place.  This will go on the wall of my potting shed and my small pots and doodads will be displayed nicely here.  I'll probably paint it a cute lime green or  maybe a turquoise....   I'm thrilled with this find!  And the price....?  $2.00!!!!

I was also thrilled with this little glass dome.  It looks like crackled glass.  I wanted it, just because.....  It cost me .50 so I couldn't leave it.  
You have to have vision for this treasure.  I see a gazing ball, a glass ball, laying inside the rim of this and smartly displayed in my garden somewhere.  Or.... possibly a pretty plate on top with some fresh pastry....?

I was just telling my hubby a few days ago that I wanted to switch our dinnerware to white dishes.  There they were!  Funny thing, I was looking at this exact same set at Walmart.  $10.00 for a serving for four, plus an unrelated large, white platter. 

I thought we did quite well today, and can hardly wait until next Saturday to see what treasures will come our way.

No comments: